SOC 2 Audits – Richmond (VA)
SOC 2 Examinations
Richmond and Virginia business owners need to ensure sensitive data is protected, especially when it comes to the financial and personal identification information (e.g. social security numbers) of customers and clients. Ensuring there are robust internal controls and cybersecurity policies and practices in place to protect against a breach is essential. Increasingly, many clients and customers are asking their vendors for a Systems Organization Control (SOC 2) Audit Report as a condition for doing business with them, or, in the case of contract renewals, continuing these relationships. A SOC 2 Report is an opinion on the effectiveness and design of an organization’s internal controls that meet the AICPA Trust Services Criteria. In essence, it is a statement verifying the effectiveness of an organization’s risk management efforts to protect the information of its customers and clients.
Virginia SOC 2 Audits
McKonly & Asbury provides SOC audits to companies in Richmond and Virginia, and beyond. Typically, we work with organizations that use or store sensitive financial and personal data that cybercriminals want. Our clients include data centers, loan servicing companies, insurance companies, medical claims processors, payroll providers, and more. Broadly, any organization that provides services to customers that directly impact the customer’s financial statements would be a candidate for such a report. Service organizations should evaluate their needs along with their customers’ reporting needs prior to determining the type of SOC report that is applicable to their needs. There are two types of SOC 2 audits:
- SOC 2 Type I – A SOC 2 Type I report is an opinion on management’s description of a service organization’s system and the suitability of their design of controls that meet the AICPA’s Trust Service Criteria for Security. It can also address Availability, Processing Integrity, Confidentiality, and/or Privacy, depending on the requirements of your customers. The report is made up of the auditor’s opinion, management’s assertion on the presentation and design of the controls, a description of the service organization’s systems and controls, and a listing of the organization’s controls. The SOC 2 Type I audit report differs from the SOC Type II in that the former covers ONLY the suitability of the design and addresses ONLY at one specific point in time.
- SOC 2 Type II – A SOC 2 Type II report is an opinion on management’s description of a service organization’s system and the suitability of the design and operating effectiveness of controls that meet the AICPA’s Trust Service Criteria for Security. Similar to a SOC 2 Type I, this report can also address Availability, Processing Integrity, Confidentiality, and/or Privacy, depending on the requirements of your customers. A SOC 2 Type II audit report contains the same core components as a Type I, but Type II is expanded to include the procedures used by the auditor to test the stated controls and the results of such tests over a defined period, rather than a single point in time.
Map of Richmond (VA)
About Richmond (VA)
Richmond, Virginia is home to a thriving business community with a diverse range of industries represented. Some of the most prominent sectors include:
- Finance: Richmond is a major financial hub, with many banks, insurance companies, and investment firms headquartered in the city.
- Healthcare: The Richmond area has a strong healthcare industry, with major hospitals, research institutions, and healthcare services providers.
- Manufacturing: Richmond has a long history of manufacturing, with many companies specializing in food and beverage, chemicals, and transportation equipment.
- Retail: The city has a vibrant retail industry, with many local boutiques and specialty shops as well as larger national chains.
- Education: Richmond is home to several universities and colleges, including Virginia Commonwealth University and the University of Richmond, which support a thriving education industry.
Overall, the business community in Richmond is known for its collaboration, innovation, and community-focused approach. The city has a strong entrepreneurial spirit and is committed to supporting its local businesses and promoting economic growth.
McKonly & Asbury provides SOC 2 Audit services remotely to businesses in Richmond from our Pennsylvania office locations. Interested in learning more about the SOC 2 audit services offered to companies in Richmond and Virginia. Complete the form below and we will follow up with you shortly.