Being a business owner is never without challenges, especially when a company is first starting out. And yet, entrepreneurs continue to start new business ventures, finding ways to create opportunities for themselves, their employees, their business partners, and their communities. In fact, 4.35 million new business applications were filed in 2020, nearly 75% more than the start of the decade and a 24% jump from 2019. And, it’s not slowing down. The number of new business applications continued to grow this year, with Q1 (4%) and Q2 (8%) seeing a year-over-year increase in 2021 versus 2020.
Entrepreneurs continue to find opportunities across a wide spectrum of businesses, including healthcare, technology, manufacturing, communication, construction, and more. The willingness of entrepreneurs to wade into a business environment with a rollercoaster economy, a constantly evolving global pandemic, workforce changes, has left us thankful for the type of people who face those waves, and not surprisingly when you consider the type of person who becomes an entrepreneur that has left us feeling extra thankful this holiday season.
Not surprisingly, we have seen an increase in entrepreneurs coming to McKonly & Asbury, too. We want to celebrate the season of gratitude with 10 reasons for entrepreneurs to be thankful:
- You own a business: for billions of people, this is something they can only dream about, and here you are, doing it!
- Your business is in America: you can set your goals, plan your work, and determine the level of your success in the greatest economy in the world.
- You are making a positive difference for your family, your employees, your community, and beyond.
- You define the culture of your business, and it is a shining light for great people looking for opportunities.
- You’re still working 70 hours a week, but you get to decide which ones, so you can make time for the things that are important.
- You get to pursue your passion.
- You can try new things and explore new directions without going through the corporate chain of command.
- Technology and access to information has grown rapidly and broken down many of the barriers that used to hamper entrepreneurial endeavors.
- If your business is established, you can give back, helping other entrepreneurs take advantage of opportunities and reduce risk by avoiding mistakes.
- If you’re just getting started, you are joining a community of mentors and givers who will HELP YOU THRIVE.
At McKonly & Asbury, we celebrate the contributions entrepreneurs continue to make, and we are grateful for you! You can learn more about our Entrepreneurial Services Group by visiting our website and don’t hesitate to contact us for all of your entrepreneurial needs.
About the Author
McKonly & Asbury is a Certified Public Accounting Firm serving companies across Pennsylvania including Camp Hill, Lancaster, Bloomsburg, and Philadelphia. We serve the needs of affordable housing, construction, family-owned businesses, healthcare, manufacturing and distribution, and nonprofit industries. We also assist service organizations with the full suite of SOC services (including SOC 2 reports), ERTC claims, internal audits, SOX compliance, and employee benefit plan audits.